Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Wouter Weylandt RIP

So in the excitement of watching the first few stages of this year's Giro d'Italia, I forgot how dangerous this sport really is.  Yes professional riders crash sometimes...  they get some road rash, some bruising, some broken bones... but I often take it for granted that they'll heal up again and be back racing soon.  Because they are "pros", they can seem to be immune to anything 'really bad' happening to them... but they're not.

Like anyone, they can come off their bike in an unlucky way, and get much more 'serious' injuries... spinal injuries, head injuries, and unfortunately, pro cyclists can die (even when wearing helmets).  It's not something we like to think about, and I don't think anyone watches coverage of a race expecting to see someone die that day.  When the news came through about Wouter early this morning, it was difficult to grasp the concept that it had really happened. 

And like many who have sent their best wishes to Wouter's family today, I cannot even begin to imagine what it must be like to be his mum, his dad, or his girlfriend right now.  Maybe some 'good' will come from this tragedy... it's just very hard to see that happening right now.

"Miss me, but let me go
When I come to the end of the road
And the sun has set for me
I want no rites in a gloom filled room
Why cry for a soul set free
Miss me a little - but not too long
And not with your head bowed low
Remember me, miss me, but let me go."  - Anon

Thanks to Kristof Ramon and Cindy Trossaert for the photos.

No comments: